Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Taking Opportunities


It’s occurred to me that every day I might encounter a hundred opportunities to discover something I’d never known or considered before, but I ignore almost all of them. I’ll hear a few lines about something or catch a glance at something unusual, and I’ll think for a moment: “Hmm, that’s interesting.” But in about two minutes the subject is out of my mind and I never give it another thought. 

Well, I’ve decided that’s messed up, for me anyway. I go around claiming I’m into “other cultures” and that I “like learning.” As I’ve recently realized, that’s complete bullshit! When I get home from a long day of work, I don’t look up the answers to the questions I pondered that day — I watch Jersey Shore, play with my kitten, and go to sleep. Maybe I’ll look at my homework and consider doing it, or check my emails and consider replying to a few, or make sure I’m not behind on my credit card bills, but do I do anything to expand my horizons? Nope.

If I’m going to talk like I’m so curious and explorative, I best start acting like it. So, I’m starting this blog. A place where I can force myself to step from “hmm, that’s interesting” to “I know all about that.” 

Let me explain a little more what I mean. When you’re out in the real world, working or running errands or socializing, it’s inevitable that you will encounter a myriad of interesting people with backgrounds, beliefs, and ideals you know absolutely nothing about. One of them might saying something to you, something you’ve never heard about before. They might mention that they grew up in Ethiopia and that school there was tough. You might find yourself briefly imagining how the schools in Ethiopia might be, but you don’t finish your conversation with the stranger and you never get to ask. So you never think about it again. 

That’s me. But from now on I’m going to take all those little things I never think about again and remember them and explore them, and post them here so that everyone can culturify themselves along with me. 

2 comments:

  1. Great ponderings. I live in a shitty little town in Arkansas, yet find it fascinating. Whenever I hear people say it's a boring town, or that they know everyone here, I like to remind them that the most recent census showed 55,000 people, and that at best, they might know 100 of them, if they're really popular.
    No matter how much you think you know anything, there's always more to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah I got to talk to you about what happened when I lived next door and why you have hatred towards me. I for one want to face to face apologize to you and kind of explain what and why I did such a stupid thing so can you get back to me please my email is fmcallister@vorcom.net or txt me if you have my number thanks.

    ReplyDelete